I'm wondering if wisdom teeth have the ability to shift and move other teeth, mainly the front ones, ruining an essentially straight smile. I've read online that no, it isn't possible and there hasn't been any evidence to prove that they can. And that most cases the teeth were only moved because of the jaw etc growing, and not due to wisdom teeth coming in. I've also read that yes, they can in fact move those teeth and they should be removed for that reason. I realize saying they can impact your smile would be a popular thing to say to convince someone to remove them, for a paychecks sake, but I'm wondering what your opinion on the issue is. As of right now my top two wisdom teeth are coming in and have broken through the gum on both sides. I'm not experiencing any pain or anything and am making sure to brush well back there. Thanks in advance and sorry if this question is a bit long.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 18 - April - 2011, at 10:17 AM

• whether the erupting wisdom teeth shfts the front teeth or not depends upon the space available  for the eruption of  the wisdom teeth. Some times the space availale is less and the wisdom tooth is impacted. In that case while erupting either the angulation of the wisdom tooth is changed or it pushes the adjacent teeth to gain the space for the erupton. In such cases sometimes there is shifting of the front teeth. But if enough space is present and they are coming normally then there is no effect on the front teeth. For more info on wisdom teeth you can visit the following link....www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation