I have recently been sick and my gums have swollen, it has gotten to the poing where i can no longer bite down all the way and i cannot eat solid foods. My gums in my upper right side of my mouth have still continued to swell. what do i do?

Leave Comment


  • dr ritz

    dr ritz 18 - December - 2011, at 23:09 PM

  • Cheema, If tooth can be saved by surgery and infection can be removed, then it should be saved rather than getting tooth extraction done. It is always better to save a natural biologic tooth than getting it pulled out and replaced with dental implants or dental bridges. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite answer. You can visit your dentist. If your dentist, thinks that prognosis of tooth is poor, then it can be pulled out but if tooth can be saved, then it would be a better option to save the tooth.

  • cheema

    cheema 18 - December - 2011, at 11:42 AM

  • I had a front tooth chipped a little when playing. It might have damaged the next tooth slightly. I had bit of pain for couple of weeks. I had antibiotic to cure it. After that i never had a problem. After 10 years I saw a little infection in gum unde/middle of two teaths. Initial canal root treatment of both tooths responded and also with antibiotic. It did not last long. I had to have three treatments of bone. The problem did not copme back for 20 years. After 20 years I now have little bit of infection. What do you think should be done tooth extraction or bone treatment.

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 16 - December - 2011, at 02:00 AM

  • Enlargement of gums can occur because of plaque and calculus deposits in relation to teeth, Vitamin C deficiency, mouth breathing and stress. Intake of some meds like phenytoin, valproate, nifedipine, verapamil also causes overgrowth of gums. In puberty, due to altered endocrine disturbances along with local factors such as dental plaque, enlargement of gums can occur. You need to get treatment done for your swollen and enlarged gums. Dentist can do scaling that is dental cleaning and root planning to remove the deposits from teeth which will further reduce the swelling of gums. If gingival enlargement is severe and is interfering with occlusion, then surgical removal of excess tissue that is gingivectomy is required. If gums enlargement is because of vitamin C deficiency, then you need to take more of citrus fruits or take Vitamin C supplements. If you are in habit of habitual mouth breathing, then you need to stop it and if there is some nasal obstruction present which is the reason of mouth breathing, then you need to get treatment done for it.   By the time you visit your dentist, brush and floss regularly to remove the plaque and calculus deposits which are present around teeth. You can also do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the swelling of the gums. For more info on gums enlargement, refer to….  http://www.identalhub.com/article_reasons-for-enlargement-of-gums-921.aspx

Free Dental Consultation