Hello. I had visited a dentist for a root canal. Before he started the treatment I asked for the quote and his assistant gave me the quote of $500 after 350 discount. after second visit my dentist told me that he will put a post on the tooth and it will cost me another $285. The problem here is that I was not told about this charge at my first visit, I am not a dentist and I cannot assume that there are several steps in this treatment. My dentist says that this is the usual treatment and it's not his fault that I didn't know. My argument is that they should have told me the total right in the beginning and not just the root canal price. Is this my fault? Should I go back to him? Please advise. Sincerely, Artur 818-292-9899

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - January - 2012, at 01:49 AM

• When infection reaches pulp portion of tooth, then root canal treatment is done. Decision to place post in root canal is dependent on amount of tooth structure remaining above the gum line. If sufficient amount of tooth structure is present above gum line and small access cavity is present, then there is no need to place post and tooth is just filled with filling material and dental crown over it. If large amount of tooth structure is missing above gum line, then post is placed inside root canal so that crown can be retained properly over it. Post inside root canal will provide stability to the tooth structure. If post is given, then you have to pay for it.  For more info on post and core procedure, refer to……   http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-post-and-core-280.aspx

Free Dental Consultation