My bottom left wisdom tooth recently came out last week and felt throbing pain and swollen gums. A week past and there is no pain, but my gum on the side of my wisdom tooth is a little swollen and also half of my tooth is covered by my gums would this heal?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 08 - November - 2011, at 01:47 AM

• Pain and swelling due to wisdom tooth eruption is normal. Wisdom tooth doesn’t aid in mastication and are susceptible to infections as it is the last tooth to come and it is difficult to clean till the wisdom tooth. If wisdom tooth is impacted or infected or is the poking the cheeks or soft tissues, then it is pulled out. When there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to come, then the tooth becomes impacted.  Impacted wisdom tooth causes pain which may be radiating to ear and head and causes swelling of jaws and gums. You need to visit your dentist to get your tooth examined. Dentist will do clinical examination and will take an x-ray to see the positioning of the wisdom tooth. If wisdom tooth is partially impacted, then it can be pulled out. Swelling on gum covering half of tooth can be because of Pericoronitis. Pericoronitis is a condition which occurs in relation to partially impacted tooth. Debridement of area is done in this condition. By the time you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses to reduce swelling. Make sure that there are no food accumulates around the wisdom tooth which can aggravate the pain. For more info on wisdom tooth, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-wisdom-teeth-152.aspx

Free Dental Consultation