I have a temporary bridge in for my teeth 3, 4, and 5. It's been about a week, and in two weeks I will be going back for the permanent. Ever since I had this bridge put in I cannot chew with this side of my mouth. Any pressure hurts the teeth underneath the bridge, as well as the tooth beneath it, #18. I had x-rays and the dentist went through my teeth, and 18 doesn't have any cavities. Also, my bridge is extremely sensitive to cold and hot, I cannot even rinse with mouthwash, as the pain is so extreme. I had no pain, and barely any sensitivity, before the bridge was put in. Is this normal for a temporary bridge, and should I be worried about this happening when I get the permanent? I'm concerned that I have to sign that piece of paper that says any additional work to the bridge will cost extra. What could be the problem I am having? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - April - 2011, at 20:37 PM

• While going for bridging there is a missing tooth which is called Pontic and supporting teeth which are called abutment teeth. The abutment teeth if not root canal treated are sensitive to hot and cold sensation after preparation for getting the bridge. So it is normal to have sensitivity in abutment teeth after getting temporary bridge as temporary bridges donot have proper fit. But this problem is usually not there after getting permanent bridge. You can use some desensitizing tooth paste for this sensitivity. It will help. But still you an discuss your problem with your dentist. For more info on bridge you can read this article.. www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation