My gums have been swollen for several months now. They are not red but light in color. I have little pain and no bleeding. However I have found my self clenching my teeth often during this time and thought the sweeling is due to trama. I went to the dentist for an exam and it appears I don't have any absessed teeth or gingivitis. She thought it also may be due to trama. I was given antibiotics and will return. The swelling is still present. I have been trying to stop clenching my teeth with a lot of success. If this is trama how long will it take for swelling to go down? Or could this be something else?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - December - 2010, at 10:10 AM

• Without seeing the condition of the gums it is difficult to make the diagnosis but from your signs and symptoms it looks like that it is because of clenching of the teeth which is causing repeated trauma to the gums. Had it been due to gum infection then you would have experienced bleeding and pain along with swelling and there is salty taste in mouth but in your case you just have swelling and no redness which means no inflammation. If you really want to stop clenching of teeth, you have to wear night guard which will help you. As clenching is mainly because of the stress, so try doing some stress relieving excercises. The swelling will go only when you will stop clenching altogether. For more information on clenching or bruxism you can read the following article in our website... www.identalhub.com/article_diagnosing-and-curing-bruxism-13.aspx

Free Dental Consultation