10 year old son been to this dentist three times and have seen 3 different dentist. This last appt. had an xray done, when the dentist came in the room never looked at the xray, did an exam, and said the back molar, which she said is a permanent tooth, grew together abnormally, and created a "hole", said it is basically a cavity and needs to be filled, never has this been brought up before in the last 2 visits, should I just trust their opinion? I could not see a hole with my eyes, nor did she point it out on the xray

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - October - 2011, at 03:41 AM

• Food may get lodged in the hole or cavity in the tooth because of which the cavity may not be visible. At times, cavity or hole may be present between 2 teeth and may not be visible. In the x-rays, cavity will appear as shadow.  Without clinical examination, we can’t comment whether cavity is present or not. You can take a second opinion of your dentist if you want or can tell your dentist to explain about the caries process and point it out in the x-rays. In case of dental caries, initially there is no pain and when the caries reach the dentin, then there is sensitivity to hot and cold food stuffs present.  If the tooth has caries, then you need to get that restored to avoid deepening of infection in the tooth.  You can get the cavity restored with composite filling material which is tooth colored, esthetic filling material. For more info on causes and symptoms of dental caries, you can refer to following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_causes-and-symptoms-of-dental-caries-229.aspx

Free Dental Consultation