Why is it that I chew on my tongue? Sometimes I dont realize I am doing it but sometimes I just do it when I am mainly stressed? I bite my tongue sometimes not so bad but sometimes til I see sores, like if a dog bite me with or without jeans on. I also sometimes though not as often as the tongue chewing, chew my cheeks. I have been biting my tongue for as long as I can remember, just lately it has gotten worse.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - November - 2011, at 01:57 AM

• Tongue biting and cheek biting can occur because of stress or anxiety or can occur unconsciously. Some sharp tooth or some missing tooth can also lead to tongue biting and cheek biting. Tongue and cheek biting is a deleterious habit and can lead to irritation and also increases the incidence of canker sores. Tongue biting can also cause bleeding on tongue. You need to make a self conscious effort to stop this habit of tongue biting. If there are any sharp teeth or missing teeth or your bite is not correct, then you need to consult a dentist. Your dentist can correct the sharp teeth if present. If there is some missing tooth present, then get them replaced. If bite is not correct, then you can get braces treatment or invisaligns done to correct the bite. Chewing sugar free gums may provide some help. If bleeding occurs on tongue biting, then you can keep a piece of ice or ice cold water on it and can use an antimicrobial mouth wash to reduce chances of infection.    For more info on problem of tongue and cheek bite, you can refer to…  http://www.identalhub.com/dental-problem-of-tongue-and-cheek-bites-723.aspx

Free Dental Consultation