I went to the dentist with severe mouth pain - they did pin point the tooth by tap test and cold sensitivity; however, my x-ray showed that the tooth was fine. They are telling me I need a root canal. I am concerned only because my x-ray didn't show any thing? I'm no expert, but should the x-ray tell you if there's root damage?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - January - 2012, at 01:05 AM

• In case of cracked tooth or some other infections, damage may not be visible on x-rays and with symptoms, vitality test and sensitivity test, treatment plan is made. If there is severe pain present in the tooth and tooth is tender on percussion and there is sensitivity to hot and cold food stuffs present, then it means that the infection has reached the nerve portion of the tooth and root canal treatment is required for the tooth. In root canal procedure, infected portion of the tooth is removed and is replaced with filling material. After root canal treatment, dental crown will be given to you. If there is severe infection present, then antibiotics will also be given to you. For more info on signs and symptoms of root canal treatment, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/article_signs-and-symptoms-of-root-canal-therapy-104.aspx

Free Dental Consultation