A couple days ago I noticed my way upper gum felt sore and yesterday I looked in the mirror and noticed there was a white looking pimple far from my teeth. I read online that if it is close to your teeth that it is a dead tooth. But the pimple is far from a tooth and closer to where my cheak and gum meet. Im not sure if it has anything to do with not washing my hands well and touching my mouth, which I sometimes do or it could be from something else. I did have a dentist appointment a couple months ago to have a cleaning and a tooth filling fixed but that tooth was way in the back far from where the pimple is at right now. Not sure if I should be concerned...Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• dr ritz

dr ritz 17 - January - 2012, at 03:58 AM

• Dorianne, Multiple teeth extraction can leave sharp and prominent bony edges at rim of the socket and over sharp bony edges, gums can heal but if pressure is applied on it, then they may cause soreness. These bony prominences eventually get round off but if they have not healed, then they can be recontoured with minor surgical procedure(Alveolectomy and Alveoloplasty). To replace all his missing teeth, your husband can get implant supported dentures or can get complete dentures. You can take your husband to a dentist for evaluation and treatment. By the time, he visits a dentist, he can massage gently over that area and can do warm saline rinses. For some pain relief, he can apply orajel.

• Dorianne

Dorianne 16 - January - 2012, at 23:45 PM

• My husband abstracted all his teeth 8 months ago and has almost immediately developed sore bumps on top & bottom gums (been a year now). Its so painful, he cannot eat properly & lost a lot of weight. What can we do??

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - December - 2011, at 02:08 AM

• Pimple on gums can be because of gingival abscess which can occur because of impaction of foreign objects such as tooth brush bristles or some hard food stuff on gums or can occur because of periodontal abscess which occurs because of spread of inflammation from gums to the periodontal tissues. Bump on gums can also occur because of infected tooth adjacent to the gums. Abscess or infection if present in the tooth can move from tooth to bone and surrounding tissues and can cause bump on gums. It might be a canker sore. If bump on gums is because of gingival abscess, then the cause of abscess is removed. Drainage can be established with warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. If pimple on gums is because of periodontal abscess, then scaling, root planning is done. Periodontal surgery may or may not be required. If bump on gums is because of infected tooth, then root canal treatment of infected tooth is done to remove the infection. If it is a canker sore, then it will heal on its own in 7-10 days. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You have to visit your dentist for definite diagnosis and treatment. By the time you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses and maintain good oral hygiene. For more info on gum abscess, refer to…   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-causes-symptoms-and-treatment-of-gum-abscess-900.aspx

Free Dental Consultation