On Tuesday of this week, I had a silver filling replaced on my upper left side, where they injected me 3 times with the numbing needle. The injection site had a dull ache when I tried to open wide from the moment the numbness wore off, but as the days progressed, it started to hurt more and it became more painful to open my jaw. This morning (Saturday) I woke up to a noticeably swollen left cheek on both the inside of my mouth and outside of my face, where there was no visible swelling in these areas during the days before. There is a dull, throbbing pain on the back part of my jaw that hurts more towards the bottom where my tongue connects, not at the injection site. The worst pain is about a 3 on my pain scale when my jaw and face are relaxed, and increases to a 4 when I smile and a 5 when I open my mouth. The pain is only at the back of my jaw, and not around the tooth that was worked on. My dentist says it's nothing to worry about, that it's normal for a cheek and face to swell up 4 days after an injection. He said if I don't see a 'pimple like blemish' under the tooth that was worked on, then there is no abscess; but my pain and swelling is nowhere near the tooth. He called in a prescription of naproxen for the swelling, but I had already been taking ibuprofen. I have had a number of dental procedures done throughout the years without the side effects lingering this long, let alone worsening or swelling 4 days following the dental work. Should I be concerned?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - August - 2011, at 01:08 AM

• From your symptoms it looks like that your tooth is infected as the filling may be deep. Initially when the filling is replaced and it is deep, it infects the pulp and there is pain and swelling but no pimple like growth on the gum which is an abscess. The abscess is formed when the whole of the pulp is necrosed after getting infected and it is normally at the later stages. if the pain and swelling is due to injection then the pain should be on the first day and mostly there is haematoma formation which gradually subsides. But in case of infected tooth the pain starts gradually and it is less on first and second day but the intensity increases. You can take a second opinion and get diagnosis made. if the tooth is infected then you have to go for Root Canal Treatment. So schedule and appointment with dentist who after clinical and radiological examination will give you diagnosis. for more info on cases where root canal is required you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_when-is-root-canal-treatment-required-294.aspx

Free Dental Consultation