I had a black cavity appearing on my front teeth about a year ago. It happened to be my first dental visit so I was not too knowledgeable about the procedure and how one should feel after a filling. My dentist stated that I had multiple cavities and performed a filling on a few of my front teeth. Since the procedure, I felt differences in my bite. I wasn't too sure; however, if I was overreacting or if it was a normal feeling because I wasn't too familiar with the process. A few months later I had a cavity appear on another one of my front teeth that he filled but I was confused as to why because it never showed discoloring before and I had it filled by him before there was any signs such as the other front teeth that was the cause of my initial visit. In addition, I feel like my front teeth has shifted; my overbite seems more protuded and I wasn't concerned till my family and I looked at old pictures and noticed the difference and my mother stated that she believes the overbite is worse than it initially was before I had the procedure. I mentioned it to my dentist today, but he avoided the question and did a quick check up and just said it's fine, which made me feel uncomfortable pressing the issue further. I just want to know if this is possible because I feel some discomfort with the protusion and considering it's my teeth I know my bite and smile feel drastically different.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 31 - March - 2011, at 20:09 PM

• Dental fillings is a normal procedure and after getting the fillings may be for an hour or two you may feel something foreign in the mouth if you touch the teeth with tongue but otherwise there is no change as the original tooth anatomy is reproduced after the filling. Shifting of teeth and increased overbite cannot happen after getting fillings. The feeling can be there if the teeth are overcontoured ie extra material is put and the size and thickness of teeth is increased. However this is very unlikely for dentist to do that. In your case it is difficult ot comment without seeing the case. You can take second opinion from different dentist if this is bothering you too much. For more info on how fillings are placed you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_how-are-fillings-placed-57.aspx

Free Dental Consultation