All my wisdom teeth have grown in all the way except for one. well it is trying to and has cause my gums around that tooth to swell making it very painful to do anything. I want to know if there is anything I can do to make the pain go away and the swelling to go away. I have not had any problems with my wisdom teeth so this is new for me please help.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 12 - December - 2011, at 01:27 AM

• When there is not enough space for wisdom teeth to erupt, then it causes severe pain on eruption. An impacted wisdom tooth causes pain which may be radiating to head and neck and causes swelling of jaws and gums. To reduce swelling of gums, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. Make sure that there are no food accumulates in back side of jaw which can aggravate the pain. Applying orajel and taking OTC pain med will also provide some relief. You can visit your dentist to get your tooth evaluated. He will take an x-ray to see the positioning of wisdom tooth. If wisdom tooth is impacted, then it can be pulled out. Surgical tooth extraction is done for impacted wisdom tooth. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and if they are impacted, infected or are poking the cheeks or are causing any other problem, then they are pulled out. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-frequently-asked-questions-about-wisdom-teeth-920.aspx

Free Dental Consultation