i had a tooth exxtraction on my 2nd to last left upper molar and today 4 days after the extraction there is a hard white either bone or a piece of tooth coming right out of the middle of the extraction site it is very sensitive to cold anything even breathing it is very painful i still have a lil bit of prescription pain meds but even those dont take the pain away and with today being friday my dentist will not be in the office until monday i do have his cell phone number but wanted to know if this is something normal and is this something to be concerned about before i call and disturb his time off with his family thank u very much for any help

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - February - 2012, at 09:38 AM

• Yes, you have to see the dentist and oral surgeon who has pulled the tooth as it is a bony specule or tooth fragment which is poking out and causing the problem.

• Michael

Michael 09 - February - 2012, at 17:16 PM

• The jagged boney type protrusion is not in the extraction socket, it is ever so slightly to the side of it. Does your original answer still apply? Should I see the Dr who pulled the tooth, or my regular dentist? Thanks Michael

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - March - 2010, at 20:45 PM

• It looks like as the bone is exposed in the extaction site as you have sensitivity to cold and you have pain also. For this you have to go to the dentist as he will clip the bone and this will help in healing. If the pain increases or you have swelling then it will become dry socket and till then you should take your meds and keep doing warm saline rinses so that the area does not become infected. For more after tooth extraction do's and don'ts you can read the following link..  http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation