Hi, thanks for the great site. It has been very informative. About 8 wks ago, I had all of my teeth removed and immediate dentures put in. It must have been a difficult extraction because I was extremely bruised from my eyes to the bottom of my throat. I am very happy to be finished with all of that but I am now having problems with the lower denture which had to be remade. I have very large, hard bumps (which my dentist says will reabsorb) and these are not allowing even the new lower denture to seal well. The denture rubs on the gum "bumps" and hurts like crazy. Icy foods/drinks help the discomfort, but I can't chew much of anything solid as it dislodges the lower plate and really hurts. Should I ask for a soft reline? The dental asst. says they won't do that until the gum "bumps" go down more. What do I do in the meantime as I'm getting really sick of soft foods and protein/vitamin shakes. Is there anything I can do to get these bumps to go down more quickly? Thanks in advance for your help. Sincerely, Lost 10 lbs but I wouldn't recommend the diet :)

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 02 - January - 2012, at 04:00 AM

• Tooth extraction can leave bony edge which is sharp and prominent at rim of the socket. Over these sharp bony edges, gums can heal but if pressure is applied on it, then gum tissue can be injured. These gum bumps heal on its own. Denture won’t be very stable and the retention of lower denture will be less till the time this bump is present on the gums. For faster healing of gum bump to take place, avoid any deposits on the gums. You can also massage gently over that area and can do warm saline rinses. Bony prominence will eventually get round off. If it is really hurting you, then you can get alveoloplasty procedure done. It is a minor surgical procedure in which recontouring of prominent bone is done.  For more info on complications with complete dentures, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-can-be-complications-with-complete-dentures-730.aspx

Free Dental Consultation