i have swelling in the gum region on the bottom left side of my face.It a swollen like an absest. i can not chew on my left side at all, my choppers are loose on that side of my mouth.there is pan , but it is not severe pain, with the swelling i can barely open my mouth .

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - January - 2012, at 01:35 AM

• Swelling of the gum region and face can be there because of wisdom tooth eruption or can occur because of some abscessed tooth present. Swelling of gums can also be there because of gum infection present. Wisdom teeth are last teeth to come and if the wisdom teeth are impacted, that is there is not enough space for wisdom teeth to come, then the tooth becomes impacted and causes swelling of the back side of the jaw, swelling of the gums, pain and difficulty in mouth opening. Abscessed tooth if present causes pain and tenderness on percussion and also leads to swelling of the gums and face. Gum infection can also lead to inflammation of gums. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can visit your dentist for definite diagnosis and treatment. If there is impacted wisdom tooth present, then surgical extraction of impacted wisdom tooth can be done. If there is abscessed tooth present, then root canal treatment of abscessed tooth can be done. If there is gum infection present, then dental cleaning, root planning and periodontal surgery may also be required. By the time, you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling of gums and the face. You can also take otc anti-inflammatory med to reduce the swelling. Maintain a good oral hygiene. You can also use a mild antimicrobial mouth wash. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation