I had a dry socket in my lower left main back tooth. My dentist packed it with this brown nasty stuff and said it would come out on its own in 2-3 days and gave me antbiodics. Is it ok if I continue to smoke and drink soda while the pack is in the hole? I know I have to quit after the pack comes out. And will it hurt when it comes out? DO I need to be doing salt water rinses while the pack is in or when it comes out?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - January - 2012, at 01:38 AM

• When the physiological blood clot gets dislodged or dissolves, then dry socket occurs. For treatment of dry socket, medicated dressing along with antibiotics and analgesics are given for relief. With dry socket, healing of extraction socket is delayed and complete healing will occur in 15 days to 3 months after tooth extraction. You are not supposed to smoke as it will interfere with healing process and will aggravate the problem. 2-3 dressings are given in case of dry socket. First dressing relieves pain for 1-2 days. If pain doesn’t regress, then second dressing can also be given which will relieve pain for a longer duration. After 2-3 dressings, tooth extraction socket wound starts healing from inside out and after that, it is left open to heal. You can do warm saline rinses gently. Keep extraction socket clean and follow the instructions of your dentist to avoid any problems. Take the meds as prescribed to you. For more info on dry socket, refer to…..  http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-is-dry-socket-879.aspx

Free Dental Consultation