Hi expert dentist, what should i do? While doing root canal treatment 1 month ago, my dentist accidentally broke a needle inside one of the root, and 3 weeks after, i've got another dentist whom expertise in endodontist, perform a surgery to remove the needle by amputating 2 of the roots, but unfortunately the surgery was failed, then left the needle stuck more deep inside (out of the root) near the bone tissue between the sinus. The dentist told me, that he would prefer to leave the needle inside, and observe it for months until a year, he said if he proceed to get the needle out, he afraid he would break the sinus membrane near it,. I got uncomfortable feeling, that these would be a problem in the future, like having time bomb, so the question is, what should i do? to get the needle out with all the risks (maybe sinus membrane rupture etc) or leave the needle inside with unpredictable situation also? thanks, chatarina,

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - September - 2011, at 22:44 PM

• Broken instrument while during root canal is a common problem which happens at times as there is no direct visibility while doing the root canal treatment. File inside the canal may or may not cause pain. If the file is broken before the canals are sterilized then it will cause the pain otherwise no pain occurs.  If the file is close to the sinus membrane, then it’s better to leave the needle inside. If the sinus membrane wall is perforated, it can lead to sinusitis and every time the patient drinks something, it will flow out of his nose and will further complicate the problem. You endodontist is right. If the broken instrument in the canal causes pain in near future, then you can get re-root canal treatment or apicoectomy for this. If the tooth can’t be saved, then the tooth may be removed and then can be replaced with dental implants. For more info on what if root canal treatment fails, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-if-root-canal-treatment-fails-303.aspx

Free Dental Consultation