I have an abscessed tooth that is pinching a nerve causing part of my face to be numb. It's been numb over 4 days. I've been told by a dentist that I need an oral surgeon, but cant afford one at this time. What are the risks of having the nerve pinched for a prolonged amount of time?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - January - 2012, at 02:43 AM

• Abscessed infected tooth can lead to facial numbness. Abscessed tooth can lead to throbbing pain, tenderness on percussion; swelling and can even lead to systemic problems like fever, enlarged lymph nodes. Tooth can even become mobile and can get extruded from the socket. If abscessed tooth is not treated, then infection can spread to bone and soft tissue becoming cellulitis and osteomyelitis. Nerve being pinched will lead to prolonged numbness. You can visit a dentist to get treatment done for infected tooth to avoid any complications. Root canal treatment or tooth extraction can be done to remove the infection. If you have cost constrains, then you can visit a dental school for treatment where treatment is done by budding dentists under supervision of experienced dentists. You can also look for free dental clinics around you. Take more of fluids and rest. You can also do warm saline rinses to localize the infection. For more info on abscessed tooth, refer to…….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation