I am a 50 yo female with both partial upper and lower plates. I do not wear the uppers because they don't fit right. Over the past several years I have developed a huge overbite with a large space between my two front teeth. I also have been diagnosed with gingivitis. My question is, can the overbite and space be corrected if wearing dentures? If so, will I need to have a new plate made since the overbite developed before I was fitted? What type of dentist should I be looking for? I do not have access to my old dentist since I have moved out of state. Thank You

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 17 - February - 2011, at 20:01 PM

  • Yes, you have to get the new dentures made as the old one will not fit as there is movement of the teeth. The overbite can e treated to some extent with the partials but not the spacing. The spacing can only be trated by moving the teeth and partials can not move the teeth. It can be treated by braces treatment but as you have gingivitis also it will be diffcult to close the space. Still you can visit your dentist and discuss with him. For the partials you have to visit the prosthodontist who makes the dentures. For more info on dentures you can visit the following link....www.identalhub.com/article_options-available-for-dentures--265.aspx

Free Dental Consultation