I had my tooth extracted 3 days ago and it is still bleeding. I am rinsing with salt water, and i tried using tea bags and biting down on guaze. I am also still doimg a soft diet. What else can I do?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - January - 2012, at 03:04 AM

• There should be no bleeding 3 days after tooth extraction. If it was a simple tooth extraction, then bleeding should not be there beyond 24 hours of tooth extraction and if it was a surgical or complicated tooth extraction, then there should be no bleeding beyond 3 days of tooth extraction. You can visit your oral surgeon for evaluation. Your dentist will try to determine cause of bleeding and may also give you stitches or pack of absorbable material if bleeding is profuse. By the time, you visit a dentist, you can apply pressure dressing with gauze pack to stop the bleeding and can continue biting on moist ice tea bags. Tea bags have tanic acid present which causes vasoconstriction. Avoid vigorous rinsing or spitting. Take the meds as prescribed and follow the instructions of your dentist.  For more info on bleeding after tooth extraction, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-bleeding-after-tooth-extraction-877.aspx

Free Dental Consultation