I have had a bad tootache and there is a bump above the tooth, I think that it is an abscess. I have been taking painkillers for the last 2 days but the pain eases for only about one hour and continues severely. What can I do to help this pain. I have also heard that one should wait for a while before having the tooth removed in this case. How long is the waiting period before I can have this tooth removed? Thank You.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - June - 2010, at 19:55 PM

• If you have a severe toothache with abcess that means you have an infected tooth. Painkillers only are not going to help you. You have to take antibiotics for that. You have two options. If you want to save the tooth then go for root canal treatment otherwise you can get the tooth  pulled out. For that it is better to start with the antibiotics and then get it pulled out afte 3 to 5 days when the pain has bit susided. The waiting period depends upon the severity of infection and varies from 3 to 5 days. For more info on dental pain you can visit the following link on our website.......http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-dental-pain--539.aspxwww.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-dental-pain--539.aspx

Free Dental Consultation