I had a toothache for roughly 1 1/2-2 days. The pain was only moderate, like a constant dull ache. At first I couldn't identify the source of the pain since it seemed like it was coming from the top and bottom row of teeth. Later it would feel like it was alternating from the top and bottom. First the top tooth would hurt then the bottom one. The second day it got a lot better, more along the lines of a minor ache....just enough to be annoying but not enough for pain meds so I put some orajel on it and went to sleep. When I woke up around 2 hours later my cheek was slightly swollen(just barely noticeable under pretty close scrutiny to others) but the pain was almost completely gone. Also, the pain didn't increase whiel laying down. I had no sensitivity to cold/hot foods or liquids(at first cold water soothed the pain) No pain when clenching, slight pain only when chewing crunchy foods. Slight pain when I put pressure on the side of the tooth gums aren't swollen So my question is is it normal for your cheek to swell from a toothache? I've also read that oragel can cause swelling but I'm worried that I may have an abscess since whats happening fits some of the symptoms. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - May - 2011, at 18:07 PM

• Your molar is infected and you have to go to the dentist to find out the extent of infecton. He will take an X-ray and find out whether the toth can be saved by root canal treatment or it has to be pulled out. Yes, you will be needig antibiotics but that will be prescribed by your dentist only. If you do not have an insurance you can go to some dental school where the treatment is cheaper.

• jay_ray420

jay_ray420 26 - May - 2011, at 08:50 AM

• Hi, I have very poor dental hygene since about my early 20's,I have a upper moler thats broken almost in half diagonally and a few days ago i noticed alittle pain when i bit down really hard, this quickly progressed into very sever throbing pain, wich lasted a couple of days. yesterday i noticed the pain in my moler was alot better but my cheek is now swollen slightly, and it really hurts if you even slightly put pressure on the outside of my cheek, and the pain seems to have moved up into my jaw.I no I probably need antibiotics to keep the infection from spreading but i have no insurance or money to see a dentist or doctor.Is there anything I can do to help aleiviate the pain or swelling, and keep the infection in check? And is it possable that it will heal on its own? PLEASE HELP!!

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - July - 2010, at 20:10 PM

• You are right. it looks like you have some infected tooth and there is abcess formation. when the swelling comes generally the opain subsides or become less. For this you have to visit dentist and get the X-ray done who will diagnose whoich tooth is infected. For more info on dental abcess you can visit the following link on our website.....http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation