--History: I have had very sensitive and weak teeth all of my life. When I was 10 I had metal fillings put in almost every one of my back teeth (bottom and top). When I was 14 a dentist told me that my wisdom teeth needed to be pulled asap, because there wasn't enough room for them and their roots would most likely grow into my jaw bone. Im now 30. My wisdom teeth were never pulled (due to lack of insurance and money). My teeth have shifted so much over the years that my teeth are badly crowded. Between the crowding and the wisdom teeth being half covered for years, I have several new cavities. --Question: My dentist and I came up with a game plan a few months ago. Before it was convenient to get started, a chunk of a filling came off and took a chunk of my tooth with it. My tooth is now crumbling. Im getting a crown tomorrow. At this point should I just go forward with all of the crowns I need and then have my wisdom teeth pulled? Or would my crowns be comprimised by the teeth shifting after the extractions?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - June - 2011, at 09:55 AM

• Whether the crowing should be done before the extraction of wisdom teeth or not depends on which teeth needs crowns. If the teeth adjacent to wisdom teeth need crowning then you should get the wisdom teeth pulled out before going for getting crowns for those teeth as when the healing occurs the gums go down exposing the tooth surface and secondly sometimes during extraction there is chance that the crown also comes out. So in my advice you can go for crowning of tooth which is crumbling and needs immediate attention and after that get the wisdom teeth pulled out. After getting wisdom teeth pulled out you can go for crowning of other teeth. For more info on crowns you can read this article.... www.identalhub.com/article_types-of-crowns-224.aspx

Free Dental Consultation