Had a root canal on my right bottom molar by an Endodontist on last Thursday.Had to be injected 5 times; and now I can't open my mouth wide.I have been taken Clindamycin 150 MG; and Advil OTC. Just yesterday, I was given Flexeril 10MG. A simple task of brushing my teeth in unbearable!!! Please tell me what happened. My tooth feels fine but my JAW feels AWFUL!!

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - March - 2013, at 20:42 PM

• Normally after Root canal treatment the teeth are tender for 2-3 days and then every thing becomes normal in maximum in a week. If it is painful even after 12 days then you must talk to your dentist. May be some infection is still there in tooth and dentist will find out whether the pain is in teeth or the soft tissue where injections are put and accordingly he will decide about this. If you are not satisfied then take a second opinion from an Endodontist.

• Marjorie

Marjorie 26 - April - 2012, at 11:07 AM

• I am also having the same problem. Two weeks ago I went into the dentist because of a tooth ache on my lower right molar. Dr. ended up giving me a root canal and did a temporary until my next appt. The next Monday I went in with excruciating pain, and he reopened it to get more decay out. Now the tooth is fine, but I can hardly open my mouth. I see what Dr. Ritz posted 5/16/11. My dentist is doing the same thing, but he doesn't know why my jaw can hardly open. Thanks to Dr. Ritz I have my answer.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - May - 2011, at 19:34 PM

• You have to browse on internet for that. If you are not confident with private dentist then best way could be to go to a dental school. I googled on internet and found that there are many in lucknow. Dental schools are always better as they have experts on every branch of dentistry and provide treatment at cheaper rates and can handle all sorts of dental problems

• Vinod Pant

Vinod Pant 21 - May - 2011, at 01:28 AM

• I am also facing the same problem? please suggest a good dentist at Lucknow ( India)

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - May - 2011, at 10:52 AM

• Sometimes when multiple injections have to be given to numb the area, the site of injection becomes painful afterwards as the muscles of the area goes into spasm and there is difficulty in opening the mouth. This condtion is reversable but it takes time. It may take upto 3 weeks to 3 months. Keep taking your meds regularly and follow all instructions given by your dentist. Do hot fermentation from outside of that area. Gradually you will be able to open mouth and pain will go but maintain good oral hygiene during this period. Along with brushing use some good antimicrobial mouthwash. For more info on problems after root canal treatment you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation