I had a deep cleaning two days ago and my gum is still bleeding above my crown and coagulates all over the crown. When I remove it, it just does it again. I have tried salt water and tea bags with the same result. Any good advice?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - June - 2012, at 21:41 PM

• RAYMOND you should not stop brushing but dont brush too vigorously, do it gently in to and fro motion. Also doing warm saline gargles also promote healing.

• raymond

raymond 19 - June - 2012, at 16:00 PM

• U mean we wil not brush our teeth for a day or 2?

• dr ritz

dr ritz 14 - November - 2011, at 22:41 PM

• Noemi, Bleeding will stop when blood clot is formed. If it is bleeding too much, then you can keep gauze over site of bleeding. Avoid excess spitting as it causes blood clot to get dislodged and then bleeding will continue. Don’t take anticoagulant drugs like aspirin which will not allow clot formation to take place and will cause bleeding. To stop the bleeding, apart from biting on gauze pack, you can also bite on tea bags which have tannic acid present and will facilitate clot formation. It will stop in a day or two. Take the antibiotics as prescribed by the dentist.

• noemi

noemi 14 - November - 2011, at 07:58 AM

• Hello I'm having the same problem. I got a deep cleaning on Tuesday. And I was fine on wed morning I noticed my front tooth was bleeding and I had to pull out white red squishy looking stuff out of it thurs it went away. Then the bleeding moved to my back side and since Friday its been bleeding but not I noticed big blood clots & when I wakr up I have blood on my face shirt n pillow. Last night I slept with a towel and wokr up several times to spit out multiple blood clots. But when I went to brush my teeth I noticed there was a blood clot in the back of my throat I tried spitting it out but I ended up swallowing it. I had gone to my dentist on fri & he said that its fine if I was bleedibleeding I just think its been too long. Should I be worried? I'm still drinking antibiotics that I was prescribed. Help!

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - November - 2011, at 01:24 AM

• For bleeding to stop after deep cleaning, clot has to be formed. So if the blood coagulates over dental crown, then remove the blood from crown without irritating the clot. If the blood clot is dislodged, then bleeding will continue.  Conditions such as elevated blood pressure and bleeding and clotting disorders can also lead to profuse bleeding. Intake of anticoagulant drugs like aspirin will avoid clot formation and will cause continuous bleeding.  So don’t take any anticoagulant drugs.  To stop the bleeding, you can apply pressure with a gauze pack or can bite on moist ice tea bags. Tea bags have tannic acid present which prevents bleeding by constricting the blood vessels and facilitating the clot formation. Don’t rinse vigorously as it can lead to dislodgement of blood clot. Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly to avoid any secondary infection.  If bleeding doesn’t stop, then consult your periodontist.  For more info on scaling and root planning, you can refer to…  http://www.identalhub.com/dental-why-root-scaling-and-planning-is-good--716.aspx

Free Dental Consultation