About 5 months ago I had a bridge installed on 30,31,32. The next day, I called the dentist back and told him that there was a gap between the lower and upper teeth. The dentist told me that he left a bit of a gap because I had to have a root canal on #32 prep and he didn't want to irritate it. He said that the teeth would naturally come together over time and my bite would be normal. This sounded strange to me, I didn't know how teeth would get longer, but I didn't pursue it further. In the last few days, I have noticed that I have bad breath even minutes after cleaning my teeth and rinsing. I'm also having some very slight pain on my #3 tooth, directly above my new bridge. Could this be a result of the occlusion not being right and the tooth extending down too far to meet the bridge on the bottom and exposing too much of the tooth. I suspect that I have an abscess that is draining in my mouth and causing bad breath. But is isn't painful because it is draining. If this is the result of a poorly fitted bridge, then I think this dentist should be responsible.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - September - 2011, at 10:47 AM

• Normally when the bridge is given there should not be any gap and the occlusion should be proper. But if side gap is left, it normally gets corrected by the supraeruption of the teeth. With the gap you may have difficulty in eating as teeth are not coming in contact but abscess because of this is not possible. may be you have some decayed tooth which developed an abscess. As your #3 tooth is also paining, may be it is also decayed and due to that pain is there. if the teeth are not coming in proper contact then chances of food impaction are more which can cause decay and bad breath. The normal mastication helps in cleaning the area but if mastication is not possible due to lack of contact then the chances of food impaction are there which lead to bad breath.

You must schedule a visit to dentist who after clinical exam will find out the exact problem and will plan the treatment for you. For more info on tooth abscess you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation