Yesterday morning I woke to find a painful round raised lump on the roof of my mouth on the left side near my gum. Throughout the day it kept swelling and became increasingly painful. Last night it was the size of a dime. I took some Ibuprofen and tried to sleep. Kept sweating and then being cold. When I woke this morning the lump was gone as well as the pain, and when I looked in my mouth I saw what appeared to be a pimple that had burst on it's own. This has never happened before and the only info I can find seems to be about smaller mouth sores. This one was substantial and went as fast as it came. I use mouthwash and brush well. Any idea what on earth caused this? I'm in my 40s. I did suffer from acne when I was young but have not had any breakouts in years. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - January - 2012, at 01:01 AM

• Lump on roof of mouth can be there because of some trauma to the roof of mouth or can occur because of impingement of some sharp food stuff there. It can also be a canker sore. Trauma to roof of mouth can lead to pain and soreness and can cause swelling which usually regresses on its own in some time. Sharp food stuff impinging can also lead to pain and swelling of the area and after removal of impinging stuff, pain regresses. It can also be canker sores which are self limiting. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory pain med and intake of the med must have provided a faster relief. As of now, you can continue with warm saline rinses. For more info on canker sores, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/article_canker-sore-234.aspx

Free Dental Consultation