I was born with a lump of skin on my gums that ended up being in between my two front teeth. From reading an article on the site about the frenectomy, I believe this lump of skin is a frenulum. Based upon the pictures and diagrams I see, my frenulum is fairly large. I also have a rather large gap in between my two front teeth. Does the frenulum cause my gap to spread over time? My gap has definitely increased in size over the years. Also, if I got this frenulum removed would my gap decrease in size?

Leave Comment

• Akila

Akila 22 - February - 2012, at 01:59 AM

• Can frenectomy be done before permanent teeth come by age of six or seven if high frenum attachment is noticed or do we need to wait till the permanent teeth come

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - August - 2011, at 02:03 AM

• High frenum attachment can be one of the reasons for the gap between the upper front teeth.  High frenum attachment can cause recession and spaces in between the teeth.  The gap will not go till you have high frenum attachment.  You can go for frenectomy for this.  Frenectomy is a procedure in which the frenum is removed. After the frenectomy, the gap will not close on its own. To close the gap between the teeth, you can go for braces treatment or can opt for cosmetic procedures like veneers, crowns on the basis of amount of gap present in between the teeth.  Cosmetic procedures are faster as compared to the braces treatment which last for 18-24 months. For more info on frenectomy, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-frenum-or-frenectomy-83.aspx

Free Dental Consultation