It is sore and some swelling on my left back side of mouth where my slight to left of my wisdom tooth... It usually flares when I eat alot of hard foods and overdo.. it gets sore and swells in that area.. Now I have been using Anbesol to bring down swelling.. I didn't notice if the anbesol caused the white patch close to the area of swelling and soreness or if it is something else..Is there something I can use to relieve pain and swelling.. I can still eat but nothing really hard.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - January - 2012, at 01:52 AM

• Pain and swelling can be because of gum infection around the wisdom tooth. Wisdom teeth are last teeth to come and it is difficult to clean till the wisdom teeth so wisdom teeth are more susceptible to infections. If wisdom tooth is partially impacted, then flap of gum tissue is created in partially erupted tooth in which food impaction can occur and can lead to soreness and swelling. If there is acute infection present in relation to partially impacted wisdom tooth, then debridement of area, operculectomy that is surgical removal of flap is done. If the condition recurs, then extraction of wisdom tooth is required. You can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the swelling and avoid any food accumulates in the area which can aggravate the swelling. You can take some otc anti-inflammatory pain med for some relief. If pain and swelling doesn’t regress, then you can visit your dentist for evaluation. If wisdom teeth are infected or are infectious, then can be pulled out. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and if they cause problem, then they are pulled out.  For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-frequently-asked-questions-about-wisdom-teeth-920.aspx

Free Dental Consultation