I visited my dentist and pointed out a cone like skin flap on my cheek in line with my molar that I was concerned about. He explained that this was a papilla from my stensen's duct and that it was nothing to be concerned about. It is like this on only one side of my mouth. The deal is I have recently taken a more active interest in my mouth and general health and was wondering if it is normal for this to stay like this for ever, this was about 2 months ago and it still appears to be the same size. To be truthful it may have always been like this and I just had never noticed, it was the first time in 15 years I had been to a dentist. The only time I feel any pain from the area is when I'm poking and prodding around with it, I have become hyperaware of its existence and as a result am constantly checking the area.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - January - 2012, at 00:14 AM

• Stensen’s duct is also called as parotid duct and delivers saliva to the mouth. Duct opening is present in the cheek behind the second molars. It is a normal anatomy and you can feel it as a small flap of tissue with tongue. It is not any kind of abnormality or growth so you don’t have to worry. If infection occurs in the duct, then the area becomes sore and swelled up. In most cases, it resolves on its own. To have healthy teeth and gums, maintain good oral hygiene and visit a dentist after every 6 months for dental cleaning. For more info on good oral hygiene, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/article_good-oral-hygiene-231.aspx

Free Dental Consultation