My 87 year old father has several teeth that are just breaking off at the gum line, needs several pulled and I was looking into getting dentures for him. Should I be looking for an oral surgeon or just a regular dentist?

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 25 - June - 2011, at 19:15 PM

  • As you have to get the extractions done for full dentures and most of the teeth are broken, it is better to see an oral surgeon for tooth extractions. Along with extractions the oral surgeon will do the remodelling of the bone also so that after healing the dental arches are smooth are grounded so that they can hold the detures. The success of dentures depends on the support, retention and stability provided by underlying dental bone. After getting extractions, you have to go to prosthodontist for dentures. for more info on full mouth extractions you can read this article...

Free Dental Consultation