My boyfriend has been suffering from a toothache for about a week. He had this same toothache a month or two ago, but it went away. This time, it has not gone away and nothing is working to alleviate the pain. He went to the dentist and, while their x-rays revealed a number of cavities elsewhere, none of them were near the tooth in question (this particular tooth has had a root canal before, but no crown, and has since cracked). They also found one of his top wosdom teeth has a huge cavity (but it is a bottom tooth that is hurting). My boyfriend does not have dental insurance and we can't afford to pay for extensive dental work. We've received no guidance or suggestion on what's causing the pain or even any recommendations on whether fixing any of the above stated problems would help. The dentist did prescribe a mouth wash(Chlorohexadine something-or-other) but again, nothing is helping with the pain and I don't know what else to do.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - July - 2011, at 09:52 AM

• This tooth ache can be because of the cavities present elsewhere like as you mentioned a huge cavity present in wisdom tooth on that side. This type of pain is called referred pain and getting the treatment done in decayed teeth will allevate this pain. In your boyfriends case the pain can be due Root Canal Treatment which as you are saying that it is cracked and there is no crown on it . Because of crack the tooth can get infected and hence there is pain. For pain you can take pain killer tabs but you have to go to dentist to get the proper treatment. If you donot have any insurance or money then you can try some dental school near your home as in dental schools the treatment is definately cheaper than private dentists and sometimes it can also be free. For more info on dental pain you can read this article.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-dental-pain-or-toothache-87.aspx

Free Dental Consultation