Hi Im just after a second opinion about getting crowns on my back two teeth which my dentist has suggested. Im just in the middle right now of getting all of my old metal fillings replaced with porcelain ones and the suggestion of crowns on the back two teeth came up but i dont like the idea of this as the two she wants to do have previously been cracked so they were worn down by the dentist and he put a couple of posts in and then built the tooth up again with metal filling one tooth is half metal fillng and the other a good size quarter is metal filling and they are both filled to gum level or just a bit lower so i dont see how a crown is going to go on these two teeth as i know that they have to be reduced in size along the outside of each tooth to fit the cap on and i dont like the idea of having this done on teeth wich such big fillings that go down to the gum line. my idea was to get rid of all of the metal anyway and a cap wont do this, i would rather have a couple of implants put in there as i think this would be a more stable idea. What do you think? Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - September - 2011, at 04:18 AM

• Dental crowns are given to provide strength to the tooth. If your teeth are cracked and have posts in them, then crowns need to be given on them. Metal filling alone won’t be long lasting for this. To give the crown, dentist will reduce the tooth structure and will give crown on it. You can opt for porcelain fused to metal crown (PFM) for this.  If you don’t want to get dental crown for the teeth, then you can get the teeth extracted and then get implants to replace the missing teeth. Implants are the best option for replacement of missing teeth. For more info on implants, you can refer to following article….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-are-dental-implants-173.aspx

Free Dental Consultation