I saw the dentist for extreme tooth pain. He did a "partial" root canal- drilled down and then refilled the tooth. He said I had an infection in my gums around the tooth- pus, etc. He gave me amoxicillin (850) and told me the pain should stop within 1-2 days. It has been 6 days of antibiotics and it still hurts badly and feels swollen, maybe more swollen than ever. I live very remotely, and am worried about complications... Please advise.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - September - 2011, at 00:03 AM

• When both gums and tooth are infected, then it is a case of endo-perio lesion.  In such cases, first the root canal procedure is done for the infected tooth and then gum surgery is done for the tooth.  If there is pain and swelling after partial root canal treatment, then it suggests that you require full root canal treatment for it. Only Partial root canal will not serve the purpose. Complete root canal treatment is required for it.  Infection in the canals needs to be removed and after cleaning and shaping of canal, filling is done. In case of deep periodontal pocket and gum infections, deep cleaning and gum surgery is required. Without clinical and radiographic examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can take a second opinion of some other dentist if you want. By that time, you can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling and avoid eating from that side of tooth and maintain good oral hygiene. Plaque and calculus deposits around the infected tooth will aggravate the swelling. For more info on root canal procedure, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_procedure-for-root-canal-therapy-105.aspx

Free Dental Consultation