Molar with root canal in 2004. Cap came off in May 2011. Tooth underneath had fallen apart and decayed sig due to leak in cap over years. No cap since (not getting my dental insurance till sept 1st). Last few days the exposed gum area around the remaining tooth has become very sensitive to touch. No actual pain on the remaining tooth because roots were removed. Gum area closest to cheek appears slightly swollen, but just barely. Is my gum infected? If so, how long can I wait. Made appt with dentist but soonest they can see me for consultation is week and a half. Is this too long? Could this problem grow sig worse if I wait this long?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - August - 2011, at 03:33 AM

• Yes, your gum is infected. Infection in the gums can be because of food impaction in that area or because of tooth infection after the crown came off.  After clinical and radiographic examination, your dentist can assess whether the tooth is infectious or not. If there is infection in the tooth, then root canal procedure is repeated and capping is given on it. If there is loss of large amount of tooth structure, extraction may be done followed by replacement of the missing tooth with implants/ fixed partial dentures. Try to get an early appointment from your dentist if possible. Even if u don’t get an early appointment, then it is advised not to eat from that side and maintain a good oral hygiene to avoid food entrapment in that area. For more info on dental implants, refer to the following article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-are-dental-implants-173.aspx

Free Dental Consultation