I have noticed as I brush my teeth in the morning that I had blood in my residue. It happens occasionally but this was like every day. So then I look at my gums and one place in particular was discolored ( deep red) and inflamed. The next day it wad bleeding from the gums between the next set of teeth. My gums also bled in those areas post flossing. My gums in other areas did not bleed but were sensitive. I have braces and have seen others with horribly inflammed gums and I am worried that will happen. What do you think it is? Can i get a mouth wash or see the dentist tint away?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - September - 2011, at 20:04 PM

• You are sufferring from localised gingivitis in which the gums of whole mouth are not affected but only the localised area is affected. It is mainly due to food impaction which causes the inflammation and redness of the gums and hence the bleeding. Somtimes there is bone resorption also. This leads to the pocket formation. This is common problem with braces as with braces maintaining oral hygiene is difficult and chances of food impaction are more. For this you have to maintain very good oral hygiene and can use warm saline rinses and massage that area with some gum paint. You can also use antimicrobial mouthwash which is recommended by your orthodontist. If the bleeding continues then it is better to go to dentist. He will do prophylaxis and deep cleaning and root planning in that particular area which is bleeding. For more info on oral hygiene with braces you can read this article..... http://www.identalhub.com/article_caring-for-teeth-with-braces-158.aspx

Free Dental Consultation