My crown came off a molar - dentist put it back on. It came off the second time (broke off). Dentist sent me to Endodontist for a root canal. One week later dentist put in a tempory crown. Two days later my face became swollen in up to my eye and down to my lower jaw. Called dentist he sent cephalexin 500 MG. Then had me go back to Endodontist saying it had to be caused by the root canal. Endodontist took 3Xrays and said he couldn't tell what the problem is and needs to do surgery. He says can't be root canal. Maybe the pin the dentist put in to hold the crown perferated the root or the root cracked. My concern is each is trying to put the problem on the other. Should I seek another opinion? The swelling has gone down, but not totally I have 3 more days of cephalexin to go. My insurance is all used up and I have limited funds. Do you have a suggistion as to the best way to go with this problem? Thank you,

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - October - 2011, at 23:41 PM

• Swelling after root canal treatment and dental crown can be there if there infection still left in the tooth after root canal treatment or can be there if there is perforation of canals during cleaning of the canals or can be because of root fracture or if the post which is used to hold the dental crown cracked the roots. You can seek a second opinion to get to know that what caused the infection in the tooth after root canal and dental crown. If there is infection still left in the tooth after root canal treatment, then re-root canal treatment can be done for the tooth. If there is large perforation of the root, then tooth extraction may also be required. If tooth extraction is to be done, then the missing tooth can be replaced with dental implants or dental bridge. For the time being, you can avoid eating from that tooth and take the antibiotics as given to you. You can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling of gums. For more info on problems after dental crown placement, you can refer to following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation