I am wondering if my baby grandson who is a little over a month needs to have a lingual frenectomy. His tongue sticks out continually. My daughter-in-law is a typical protective little mommy. I haven't brought it up to her because I didn't want to alarm her. But, what I read on the blogs, sounds like a pediatrician is not likely to recommend it, but parents who had it done are! Help! Ginger Robinsin

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - March - 2011, at 10:06 AM

• The child is too small to get the lingual frenectomy done and coming out of tongue constantly is no criteria to decide that the child needs lingual frenectomy . Lingual frenectomy is done when the lingual frenum (lingual frenum is muscular tissue which attaches the tonue with floor of mouth) is very high. In this the child has problem in sucking and later on if lingual frenum is very high then it may cause speaking problem. Lingual frenum when high is also called as tonuge tie. If you are very much concerned then you can take opinion of Pediatric Surgeon, who will be anyway doing the surgery if needed. For more info on lingual frenectomy you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_types-and-techniques-of-frenectomy-84.aspx

Free Dental Consultation