One of my teeth chipped in the back on the bottom row about two weeks ago and sometimes hurts when I chew on that side. I tried to look at it in the mirror and couldn't see it, but I feel it when I run my tongue over my tooth. Today my front tooth chipped on the bottom and I'm worried! What could be causing this?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - November - 2011, at 00:46 AM

• Chipping of tooth can occur because of trauma to tooth or can occur because of chewing something very hard or can be there if you are in habit of clenching or grinding of teeth. Some habits like putting pencils, opening pins from mouth can also lead to chipping of teeth. If tooth is weak because of decay, then also chipping of tooth can take place. You need to get treatment done for your chipped tooth. Chipped tooth if not repaired leads to pain on chewing. If there is horizontal tooth fracture and it doesn’t involve the dental pulp, then bonding can be done. If pulp is involved, then root canal therapy followed by dental crown is required. If there is vertical fracture line present or in case of fracture on cervical portion of root, tooth extraction is required. If you are in habit of clenching or grinding of teeth, then you need to stop it. Clenching or grinding of teeth at night is called as bruxism and occurs because of stress or anxiety or can occur because of traumatic occlusion. Mouth guard is given in clenchers which relaxes the jaw muscles. Avoid eating very hard foods and don’t put pencils or open pins from mouth. If there are some decayed teeth present, then get them restored.  For more info on how chipped tooth is fixed by dentist, refer to…   http://www.identalhub.com/article_how-chipped-tooth--is--fixed-by-dentist-790.aspx

Free Dental Consultation