I just had 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I just read online that birth control increases your chances of a dry socket. I did not know this prior to my surgery. I have decided to stop taking my birth control on the day of the surgery. I am on ortho cyclen. So will stopping my birth control on the day of the procedure decrease my chances of a dry socket?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - August - 2011, at 10:10 AM

• Dry socket is there mainly due to dislodgement of clot from extaction socket immediately after the extraction is done. clot dislodgement is mainly due to negative pressure caused by any action like using straw, smoking etc and due to this after tooth extraction instructions are given to not to smoke or use straw to drink. If all post extraction instructions are followed and meds are taken on time regularly then the chances of dry socket are there. Along with this good oral hygiene should be maintained. So donot worry and follow all post extraction instructions of your dentist. For more info on do's and dont's after tooth extraction you can read this article.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation