I have had sudden gum recession on my lower teeth, over the last 5 days or so. I am worried, as I do not have any bleeding/other signs of infection, except that my gums are slightly red. Will taking multivitamins help this? What can I do to prevent progression?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - November - 2011, at 01:44 AM

• Gum recession is a gradual process which can occur because of food deposits around teeth, faulty tooth brushing, traumatic bite, Tooth malpositioning in dental arch, smoking, tongue or lip piercing. If there are deposits present around teeth, then maintain god oral hygiene to avoid gum recession. If you are in habit of forceful brushing, then stop it.  If there is tooth malpositioning present, then get it corrected. If gums are red and are also swollen, then you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. If mild gum recession is present and it is there because of deposits present around the gums, then scaling and root planning can be done. If there is sensitivity present due to gum recession, then you can use desensitizing tooth paste or can get it filled.  In case of severe gum recession, periodontal surgeries are done. Taking multivitamins will be of little use. For more info on gum recession, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_treatment-and-causes-of-gum-recession-887.aspx

Free Dental Consultation