I have 2 teeth with 3-4 year old metal fillings in them. They are both on the bottom and on the oppositse sides. My left tooth has recently become painful and hurts when I eat or drink something cold or hot. Due to this, I moved to chewing on my right side. Now, I am having a little pain on the side too, in the other metal filled tooth. What is the problem? I cannot tell if it's chipped or not.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - February - 2011, at 20:30 PM

• As the fillings are 3-4 years old there may be leakage between the tooth and the filing or the filling may be chipped causing the problem. Normally in regular 6 monthly checkups the fillings are checked and if needed they are replaced. Now in your case as the tooth has become sensitive and there is pain, it looks like that you have secondary caries below the filling. Now for this you have to visit your dentist who will do clinical examination and take xrays to find out the cause and if needed the fillings is replaced. But if the tooth is already infected then you may have to go for Root Canal Treatment. So it is better to schedule an appointment with dentist to get the needful done. For more info on tooth needing root canal treatment you can read this dental article from given link... www.identalhub.com/article_when-is-root-canal-treatment-required-294.aspx

Free Dental Consultation