Hi, I had a cavity filled about 3 weeks ago in my lower left second molar (the one way in the back.) I had to go in after the initial appointment to have the filling ground down a little, as it was too high. After that, though, it felt fine for the first couple weeks. Within the last week, however, I've started to have sensitivity and pain in the tooth when I eat or drink hot or cold substances, when I bite on it in a certain way, and just today, when I breathe in a rush of cold air. The wisdom tooth behind the molar hasn't come in yet, and the last x-rays showed that it was severely impacted and will need to be removed soon. The pain has gotten much worse very rapidly and I'm really worried. I don't know if the pain could be caused by the wisdom tooth doing something to the nerve, or a crack in my tooth (I haven't noticed one, but I do grind my teeth at night sometimes), or from the filling maybe having been ground down too much, or from some other problem. It was a pretty shallow filling, also. Everything that I've been able to find online has indicated that I shouldn't be having pain this late after a filling, and that the sensitivity indicates that I need a root canal. Do you have any better news for me? Thanks very much, Hannah Andersen

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - January - 2012, at 00:32 AM

• There should be no pain or sensitivity 3 weeks after dental filling. Pain and sensitivity of tooth can occur because of tooth wear or can occur because of recession of gum in relation to tooth. Clenching or grinding of teeth can lead to tooth wear and sensitivity. Crack in the tooth can also lead to pain on chewing. It is difficult to diagnose cracked tooth clinically. If filling is close to nerve, then it can cause sensitivity and pain and in such condition, root canal treatment is required for the tooth. Pain can also be there because of impacted wisdom tooth. Impacted wisdom tooth can push other teeth to create space for themselves and cause pain. Impacted wisdom tooth can also lead to decay of adjacent tooth and complications. Without clinical examination and without seeing the x-rays, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can visit your dentist for evaluation and treatment.  If impacted wisdom tooth is reason of pain, then surgical extraction of wisdom tooth can be done. If the tooth is cracked, then treatment is required for cracked tooth. If you are in habit of teeth grinding, then you can get a custom made mouth guard which will relax the jaw muscles and will avoid teeth damage. By the time, you visit your dentist; you can use a desensitizing tooth paste for some relief.  For detailed info on problems after dental filling, refer to……   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-are-different-problems-after-dental-filling-809.aspx

Free Dental Consultation