I chipped my tooth on Wednesday while I was in Egypt. I went to the doctor who said it was a simple chip and he would fill it in with composites within an hour. Only the enamel had broken according to him. He took an xray and said everything was fine. I said I'd rather get it done back home. I found a new Dr at my dental clinic, who first had a look and checked my tooth did a few tests. She too said it was only the emamel. Then she took an xray and said a root canal would be needed. Now I'm confused, why would a chip which is only 1/6-8 of the apparent tooth require a root canal. She said my root canal was exposed and might catch an infection later so it was best to remove it now. I have absolutely no pain, the broken part is only slightly sensitive while brushing. Now I have a root canal appointment on Monday, but there is no way to contact the doctor before that since it's Sunday tomorrow. I am now skeptical of getting a root canal and need a second opinion.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - August - 2010, at 20:20 PM

• If the chip is oly in enameland there is no pain and sensitivity then in my opinion there is no need to get the root canal treatment.  If you get the root canal treatment you have to go for the crownn you can go for composite built up or you can take second opinion because it is difficult to comment with out seeing the X-ray but from your question it does not look like you need a root canal treatment. if you want to know more about the root canal treatment you can visit the following link on our website.....http://www.identalhub.com/article_when-is-root-canal-treatment-required-294.aspx

Free Dental Consultation