I asked a question a moment ago but realized i gave some wrong information. I had a tooth extracted yesterday morning and had very little pain after the numbing agent wore off but now about 30 hours later i am having severe pain in my jaw and around the extraction site. Is it possible to have dry socket so soon after an extraction or is this normal pain? also, i can see something gray down in the hole and there is no clot. It looks to be bone but im not sure. Thanks so much for your time!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr. Ritz

Dr. Ritz 21 - April - 2011, at 19:52 PM

• Chances of failure after Re Root Canal Treatment are more as compared to first time Rooot Canal Treatment as some times, the dentist is not able to removed the filling completely or case selection is poor. Loosing a tooth after Re-Root Canal Treatment is not abnormal.

• Marguerite

Marguerite 21 - April - 2011, at 17:05 PM

• I am losing my teeth (3) soon to be 4 after teeth were retreated for a root canal. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to save my tooth? I have had pain in the tooth for 2 and 1/2 months after re-treatment.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - April - 2011, at 19:18 PM

• It is normal to have the pain after 30 hours of tooth extraction. Nothing can be said at this stage about whether you will have dry socket or not but if you are not able to see clot that means the clot is dislodged. In such cases chances of having dry socket are more. So maintain good oral hygiene and do warm saline rinses. Donot try to irritate the extraction socket and take all the meds precribed by your dentist and follow all the instructions given by dentist. Dry socket is a painful condition caused due to dislodgement of clot but is not always that you will have dry socket. For more info on dry socket you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-a-dry-socket-155.aspx

Free Dental Consultation