Hey. A couple of months ago I was eating pizza and part of my tooth broke off. This tooth had a couple of black dots on it prior to this. Well, since then the inside of the tooth has become all black and I'm basically in pain daily. Now I don't have dental insurance but I should be getting it in March. It has been a few months already...will one more month hurt? Afraid infection will spread. And it also seems my wisdom came in and that both stayed under the gums, with only the one of the right side peeking through.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - February - 2012, at 01:01 AM

• Black dots prior to breakage can be there because of decay. Eating hard foods or trauma to the tooth can lead to breakage of tooth. Inside of tooth has become black and is causing pain because of infection in the tooth. Treatment of broken tooth depends on amount of tooth structure which is broken and whether it is a front tooth or back tooth. If a small portion of front tooth is broken, then it can be restored with composite filling material which is tooth colored, esthetic filling material. If it is a back tooth which is broken, then dental filling or crown is required. If much of tooth structure is broken and nerve of the tooth is exposed, then root canal treatment followed by dental crown is required for the tooth. If tooth is badly mutilated, then post and core procedure will be done after root canal treatment to provide support and stability to tooth. If tooth is beyond repair, then it can be pulled out. Get treatment done for your broken tooth as early as possible to avoid any complications. Delaying treatment for other 1 month may worsen the condition of tooth further. By the time you visit a dentist, Avoid eating from side of broken tooth so that it doesn’t break further and maintain good oral hygiene. If pain is bad, then you can take otc pain meds or can apply orajel for pain relief. If you don’t have insurance, then you can visit a dental school or can look for free dental clinics near you for treatment. If wisdom teeth are also erupting, then your dentist can take an x-ray to see the positioning of wisdom tooth. If wisdom teeth are impacted that is there is not enough space for wisdom teeth to erupt, then they need to be pulled out. Impacted wisdom teeth can lead to pain and swelling of jaws and gums and can lead to difficulty in swallowing and bad breath. For more info on wisdom teeth, visit……   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation