I had some tartar fall off my bottom fron teeth last night. I can feel a gap at the base of the tooth in the back where gum should be. Will the gum come back up and cover that gap? I haven't eaten all day for fear that the tooth is going to break off.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - January - 2012, at 02:17 AM

• Tartar is calcified deposits present on the tooth and can occur if the oral hygiene of the patient is not good. Dental cleaning and root planning is required to avoid deposits around teeth. If plaque and tartar deposits are not removed, then gum infection will become more severe and will lead to loss of attachment, bone loss and can ultimately make the teeth loose. When tartar falls off or when it is removed, then patient can feel a gap at the base of tooth. Gum will grow back over it in some time. Your teeth will not fall off. For faster healing to take place, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. Avoid intake of too spicy or hot foods as it can lead to sensitivity and pain. You can also use gum paint in that area. Avoid any kind of irritation and you can brush gently on that area to remove the deposits. To have healthy teeth and gums, it is important that you maintain good oral hygiene. Brush and floss regularly to avoid any deposits around teeth and also use a mouth wash. Mouth wash is a chemical adjunct to plaque removal. Visit your dentist once in 6 months for dental check up and teeth cleaning. For more info on good oral hygiene, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/article_good-oral-hygiene-231.aspx

Free Dental Consultation