I have had a wisdom tooth coming in for a year or so. Every couple of months it would hurt for a couple of days and then stop. Not real pain, just standard "tooth coming in" aching. Anyway, about a week ago it started hurting more and I realized it may be finally finishing coming in. However, I think it is partially erputd. Now right now it really only hurts when I touch it and occasionally when I eat. Still not serious pain, just what I would expect it to feel like. Is there a chance my wisdom tooth is still just coming in and everything's going to be fine? I don't have health insurance. I really can't afford to remove an impacted tooth, and since I've never had any dental surgery, I really don't want to have to. Do I have a choice? If not, how immediate is this issue? Can it wait several months (until I go home for winter break)? and about how much would it cost without insurance?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - August - 2011, at 00:19 AM

• Wisdom tooth comes in late teens and it takes months for tooth to erupt completely. There is pain present when the tooth erupts.  The tooth may be partially impacted in your case which can’t be told without an X-ray. The pain might be there because of food deposits in the wisdom tooth area which might have caused swelling of the gums there or can be because of infection in the tooth. It is difficult to clean till the wisdom tooth so deposits tend to occur more on wisdom tooth and it is more susceptible to the infections.  As of now, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the swelling and for some relief. Make sure that you brush till the last tooth properly to avoid any deposits. Its better that you visit a dentist and get the tooth examined. The dentist after clinical and radiographic examination can ascertain that whether the tooth is partially impacted or not.  If you have money constrains, then you can approach any of the dental schools around your place where treatment provided is comparatively cheaper. There is nothing to be afraid about the dental surgery. The surgery is done under anesthesia or sedation so that there is no pain. Its better you visit your dentist early to avoid any complications later on. The average cost to get wisdom tooth pulled out varies from $100-$500 depending on the impaction  and varies from dentist to dentist, place to place. For more info on wisdom teeth, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation