July 4th! Need QUICK answer!! I am scheduled to have an extraction of #30 tomorrow. I have all 4 root canals done and a post in that tooth. For about 1 year the tooth had a slight ache. Two weeks ago it flared to a sizeable abscess on the cheek side of the gum. Have been on 875 mg of Amoxicillin for all two weeks twice a day. The abscess has subsided but still present. It appears there is a focal point on the gum abscess. No swelling of the gum on the tongue side. I do not have any pain. Radiographs show a darkened area between the roots, which has been there for over 5 years. They want to extract. I feel that if the abscess was drained the area might heal and I could save the tooth but realize this could happen again. The thought is that the root is cracked below the crown, which of course, we can not see. What is the worst that can happen if I have them drain it and leave it alone? Could the area heal enough for me to retain the tooth? I am 69 and hate to lose this tooth. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - July - 2011, at 18:57 PM

• If the abscess is quite big and there is bone loss with fracture of root then it is not advisable to save the tooth. If fracture is not there then one can go for Apicocetomy in which flap is raised and infected roots are cut but as you have fracture in the root near the crown, there is no need for this as the tooth will again get infected. If you try to retain this tooth, eventually the bone loss will be severe causing the mobility of tooth and  you will loose the tooth. Moresoever abscessed tooth in the mouth is a focal of infection and is not even good for general health. You can get it pulled out and go for dental implant for the fixed bridge. For more info on tooth abscess you can read this article.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation